Learning AV Foundation Book in Development

by Bob McCune on November 8, 2013

Learning AV Foundation - Rough CutI mentioned earlier in the the year that a major focus of mine has been to help better educate people about AV Foundation. I’m happy to announce I’m working on a new book called Learning AV Foundation that will provide a comprehensive guide to mastering the framework. The book provides a hands-on guide to working with the various features of the framework and focuses heavily on building real-world applications for iOS and OS X.

The book is still early in its development, but the publisher has made a Rough Cut version available on Safari Books Online. The first 5 chapters are currently available and new ones will be added as the content is developed. A Rough Cut chapter is the raw, unedited version, so if you notice any errors or omissions, ping me here or leave a comment on the book’s page on Safari Books Online.

Table of Contents

12. Building Custom Video Transitions
  13. Reading and Writing Media
  14. Creating Realtime Audio Effects
  15. Creating Realtime Video Effects

[ 7 comments ]

Dave November 20, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Man, I need this book so bad, and I needed it yesterday! Saw what you had so far for the rough cut and can’t wait for more. Any estimate on when the book is supposed to be finished? And any other sources for this info in the meantime? (Besides the dev archives)

Bob McCune November 20, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Thanks for the interest! It will be a few more months before it’s all done, however, new chapters will be added to Safari every few weeks. I’m working on the Media Capture chapters right now and will begin work on the Media Editing section when those are done.

As far as other resources, I haven’t found many good ones, which was a big reason why I decided to write the book. You’ll find little bits and pieces of interesting information scattered across the Internets, but I’m not aware of any comprehensive resources.

Kalveer January 13, 2014 at 3:02 pm

IS the book ready? Dying to get my hands on the IOS 7 compatible code for the Imovie like app.

Bob McCune January 13, 2014 at 3:32 pm

No, the book is still in development and it will be a while before the final version is released. You can follow its development on Safari Books Online as new chapters will be added periodically throughout the development.

I will start working on the media editing chapters in the next few weeks so I will be patching the video editing app in the not-too-distant future.

Kalveer January 13, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Need something like this created.
IDEA behind the app:
1) The app already will have a Main Videos with audio
2) the user is prompted to type
a) Text ( their name or Place etc ) &
b) Upload a video of them doing some action

3) the app will render the given text on to the Main Video and place the Uploaded videos at a any given time on to the Main Video and render it into a new video which can be mailed or downloaded on the camera roll.

I want to understand how i can create such application for multiple Main videos so i will need the source Code with some basic explanation from you! Of course its commercial. I dont expect you to waste your time on me for free. Need your costing.
This app will be run locally on the ipad because it needs to be customized to each main video.
Please let me know how hard it is to achieve this and what are the challenges in creating this.

Andy Drexler February 1, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Hi Bob -

I saw your talk at Renaissance – I wish you had more time! A couple of questions:

(1) Is there a pre-release version of your book? I’d be happy to pay now…

(2) Do you have a recommendation for converting video to HTTP Live Streaming? I realize there are several commercial services that do this; is there a local toolchain (Mac or Linux) that can be installed?

Thanks again – and special thanks for coming to the conference.

-drex

Bob McCune February 3, 2014 at 2:13 am

Hi Andy,

I like the Renaissance format, but the limited time each speaker has does make it a bit challenging to cover a technical topic.

1) The only place the book is available right now is on Safari Books Online. About 1/2 of the book is written and the first few chapters are available in “Rough Cut” form on Safari. They will push new chapters periodically while the book is in development.

2) The following URL provides links to all of the resources Apple makes available on HTTP Live Streaming. If you follow the “Downloads” link you can download Apple’s command-line tools needed to prepare your media for streaming.

Chris Adamson (@invalidname) gave a nice presentation on the topic at CocoaConf last year that I’d recommend checking out. It provides a nice overview of how to get started with HLS.